THe view from the Galley Window

THe view from the Galley Window

Thursday, May 13, 2010

They Called and I Answered the Phone

Well I was suppose to be home until May 25 when I got off the boat on April 23. They called me on Monday April 26 and said, "Will you come work until next Monday?" Since Lauren totalled her car I thought extra cash would be great. I drove to Paducah, crewed up Tuesday morning, and off we went to St. Louis to get right back on the boat I had just gotten off of on Friday. I settled in on my regular boat which was great cause I knew where everything was!! Well the river rose and on Thursday they said, "We gonna tie up again. We gonna send you on back home." Ok by me. I had grandbabies to keep, a car to shop for after I dealt with the insurance and oh yeah, it was Mother's Day and someone needed to cook lunch!!

So I went and got Caleigh on Wednesday and went to Oxford to pick up a load of La's stuff (cause remember she's got no ride and is working and taking finals.) Thank goodness for a sweet boyfriend willing to ferry her to work and the library!! Caleigh and I had a wonderful time playing in the water and enjoying the sunshine until Saturday. She was in a wedding in Southaven so I had to take her home and I went back by Oxford to collect the last of La's stuff and her. Of course this was a pretty lengthy operation. By the time we got home, Mollee and Caleigh were there. Heather and Mike got there on Sunday. I missed the boys but that is the way it works sometimes! :(

On Monday in the pouring rain, Marty, Lauren and I went to Burns Motors and found just the car she wanted right out of the gate!! Yayyyyy!! She is now the proud owner of a Ford Escape. Tuesday was loan arrangements, insurance, tag and all that goes with it. On Wednesday, she was going to Oxford to turn in keys and talk to her employer about the fall. After lunch she left, I thought aahhh I believe I'll take a nap. As that thought skirted round my brain, Dispatch called and said, "If you want to work, can you be here at 8 am in the morning?" So no nap, pack up, drive up and crew up. At least there was no long commute. The R. Clayton McWhorter was right at the landing at the foot of the hill!! It is set up completely different from my boat so I'm a little lost. My bedroom is about half the size and I have a twin bed instead of my regular fullsize. But the captain and crew are great so far. More on them as I make observations. The cook I relieved had a roast in the crockpot and pintos and potatoes on the stove, bless her. All I had to do was make up a salad and fry up a batch of okra.

This afternoon I made 2 pecan pies and some brownies (recipe follows). These guys told me they were dessert eaters. Only three of them usually eat dinner so nighttime will be easy.
Tonight I am frying potatoes with onions, grilled cabbage, and some ham cause we have pintos and cornbread left over.

Till later...................


Chocolate Brownies

4 squares unsweet chocolate
3/4 cup butter
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup plain flour
1 cup chopped nuts, optional

  • Microwave chocolate and butter in large microwave bowl at high 2 minutes or until butter is melted.
  • Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
  • Stir in sugar
  • Mix in eggs and vanilla.
  • Stir in flour and pecans. Spread in greased 13 x 9 pan.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. (Do not overcook)
  • Cool and cut.

I like to put a can of chocolate cake frosting on brownies while they are still warm and sprinkle with chopped pecans.

No comments:

Post a Comment