THe view from the Galley Window

THe view from the Galley Window

Monday, March 22, 2010

And Welcome to the Joe B. Wyatt

After a two hour drive, most of which I slept, I was beginning to think we are as lost as a byjohn. We turned off the highway, onto a narrow two lane road, onto a dirt road, and then onto a levee, off the levee to park under a coal chute. At lease we were on the river. But I didn't see any boats!!If my driver hadn't been so totally non-threatening, I could have easily imagined myself tomorrow's headline-Unidentified Woman Found!!

Just about the time I once again was reviewing my decision making skills, I saw a tug making its way around the bend. Was this my home for the next week? Sweet mercies, I hope not!!! It was about 30 feet long and black as soot from the coal dust. I started to climb back in the van when the driver looked at my stricken face and said, "Well there's your taxi!" I gues he knew what was running through my head cause he proceeded to tell my boat was up around the bend making a tow (that's getting the barges filled and tied together) and this little harbor boat was gonna take me to it. All I could think was "Praise Jesus".

THey backed right up to the bank, produced a six foot ladder and leaned it against the side. My bags were loaded and I again thought of Louanne and her nine bags. I strapped on my life jacket and took a seat in the wheelhouse. THe guys were super nice when they found out this was my first trip and spent the 10 minutes or so talking to me so I didn't have time for nerves or motion sickness.

We rounded the curve of the Mississippi River and there was my boat, big and clean. Kevin, better known as Big'un, took my two bags and wanted to know where the rest were. Told him that was it and he said cooks always had lots of bags!! Told him it was his lucky day. He took me upstairs to the guest quarters. Normally I would be housed near the galley on the first deck but since there was a cook onboard I would not be in the cooks quarters. After settling in for a few minutes, I went down to the galley and met the boat cook and resident mom.

Claujia was busy frying up fish for lunch cause Friday is fish day on Ingram Barges. We made small talk while I ask a million questions. Like me, she had held a large variety of jobs, but most recently had owned a small bakery in Virginia, which she sold and had been on the river since July, 2009. She had been on 11 boats as a fill-in cook and this was here first permanent boat. We spent the afternoon getting to know each other and discussing the menu for Saturday which is always steak. She said she wasn't much of a griller and I volunteered to marinate and grill the steaks. She seemed happy with that. I suggested we do some chicken also for the guys to put on their salads. She loved that idea and we marinated some chicken breasts as well. That afternoon I got my first bread making lesson. I confessed to her that I was a little skepical and alot scared of trying bread cause I had never been successful. She told me I would be!!!!

After we finished dinner, she must have looked at me and taken pity on me, because she uttered the most beautiful words...... "I know orientation is draining. Sleep in tomorrow and don't worry bout getting down here before 9." I wanted to fall at her feet and call her blessed, but I was afraid I couldn't get up once I was down!! She didn't have to tell me twice! I was upstairs in my bed by 6:30pm and so proud to be there. My last thought was maybe this is gonna be okay after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment